Dogs that are crippled with arthritis end up sitting or lying most of the time, not exercising. The result is weight gain and immobility. This exacerbates their condition, worsening the pain of arthritis.
Benefits listed from dogasaur:
- When the water level changes, specific joints or muscles receive the proper resistance.
- Canine hydrotherapy builds up endurance.
- Dogs are able to exercise with little or no pain.
- The water temperature is adjustable, and this helps with the rehabilitation process because the dog is more relaxed.
- Weak and arthritic dogs are able to move around freely without falling down.
- Not only can underwater treadmills assist in rehabilitating a dog, but they can also be used for weight loss purposes.
It’s not exactly a spa, but the results on larger breed dogs have been fantastic. Dogs with hip dysplasia have particularly found hydrotherapy beneficial.
~The Get Up and Go! Team